- What is torque?
- What is bolt load or bolt tension?
- What is preload?
- What is stress?
- What is the short formula?
- What is the “K Factor”?
- How much torque should I use to tighten a specific bolt?
- Is tighter always better?
- Why should I lubricate bolts and nuts?
- Why do bolts loosen in service?
- Why is it required to use a ‘star’ or ‘criss-cross’ pattern and two or three passes when tightening bolts in a pattern?
Product Specific Q&A
Direct Tension Indicator (DTI)
- What is a Direct Tension Indicator?
- Is it possible for my company to get a demonstration of the Direct Tension Indicators?
- Has there been any testing to confirm the information on DTIs?
- Will using DTIs change my torque or tension requirements?
- If there are great temperature fluctuations in the joint, will DTIs cause relaxation in the bolt load?
- If the stud/bolt is over-tensioned, can I back the nut off and use the same DTI again?
- If enough clamping force has not been achieved when the gap is measured, do I need to start from the beginning again?